When a disaster, such as a flood, earthquake, hurricane or tsunami strikes, many survivors lose their homes, their possessions and their hope.
ShelterBox is an international disaster relief charity specializing in emergency shelter provision. Humanitarian aid is delivered in iconic green ShelterBoxes. Each box supplies an extended family with a tent and lifesaving equipment to use while they are displaced or homeless.
Highly trained volunteer ShelterBox Response Teams distribute the boxes on the ground, working closely with local organizations, international aid agencies, and Rotary Clubs worldwide. When a disaster strikes, ShelterBox teams are often on the ground within 24 hours, aiming to get the first shipment of boxes on the ground as quickly as possible.
ShelterBox was founded in 2000 by Tom Henderson, an ex Royal navy diver and Rotarian from Cornwall, England. Since distribution of the first ShelterBoxes in response to an earthquake in India in 2001, ShelterBox has grown to be one of the most innovative and effective aid organizations in the world.
ShelterBox provides more than just emergency equipment and shelter to families in need – it provides warmth, security, a renewed sense of hope and promise of a fresh start.
We cannot eradicate natural or manmade disasters. We can only be prepared to respond. ShelterBox relies on the generosity and support of supporters from across the world in order to be able to carry out its work.
What is in the Box?
The contents of the ShelterBox are tailored depending on the nature and location of the disaster. High standards for product development, testing, and innovation ensure that each item is robust enough to be of lasting value.
Each ShelterBox typically contains the following items:
- Custom-designed disaster relief tent that can provide a home for an extended family
- Water containers and water purification system
- Stove with cooking utensils, pots, plates and cups
- Warm gloves and hats
- Blankets, groundsheets and mosquito nets
- Children’s activity pack
12 Years of Disaster Relief
- Experience responding to more than 180 disasters in over 75 countries
- Nearly 120,000 ShelterBoxes distributed to families around the world, providing lifesaving aid to over one million people
- Proven ability to respond quickly:
- Network of storage facilities around the world for pre-positioned stock
- Families in Pakistan received tent within 48 hours of flooding
- Response Teams mobilized 12 minutes following the earthquake in Haiti
- 200+ highly trained ShelterBox Response Team (SRT) volunteers around the world
- Affiliate organizations in 21 countries around the world (including ShelterBox Canada)
- Rotary International Project Partner
- Lean organization that benefits from the tireless efforts of a dedicated and extensive support base of
- High standards for product development and testing. ShelterBox tent is regarded as the best relief
- tent available.
- Strategic and close operational links with some of the world’s leading international aid agencies
About ShelterBox Canada
- ShelterBox Canada is a registered Canadian charity (#84628 3208 RR0001)
- National Office based in Toronto, Ontario
- Affiliate of the global ShelterBox network
- Board of Directors with representation from coast to coast
- Member of Volunteer Canada with a strong network of volunteers across the country
- Nine Canadian ShelterBox Response Team volunteers are part of an international team that delivers aid directly to families in need
How Your Can Help
A donation of $1000 sponsors a complete ShelterBox. Regardless of donation size, donors have the unique opportunity to find out where the ShelterBox they sponsored was distributed by tracking their box number on our website.
To be as effective as possible in providing immediate help to families in most need of emergency shelter, ShelterBox Canada cannot accept donations designated to a specific country or disaster. To donate or find out more about ShelterBox volunteer opportunities, please visit our website at www.shelterboxcanada.org.